- Lessons in Sustainable Development from Japan and South Korea. 2014. New York: Palgrave. Coauthored with Sara Hsu and Michio Naoi.
- Galbraith, James, Sara Hsu and Wenjie Zhang. 2009 “Beijing Bubble, Beijing Bust: Inequality, Trade and Capital Inflow into China.” Journal of Chinese Current Affairs – China Aktuell, Vol. 38, Issue 2, 3-26.
(This article will appear in a conference volume edited by Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz and David Kennedy in 2012)
- Wenjie Zhang and Shuming Bao. 2015. “Created Unequal: An Analysis of China's Income Inequality in Metropolitan Development.” Journal of Applied Geography. (Recently accepted)
Working Papers :
- Wenjie Zhang. 2014. "Has China crossed the threshold of the Kuznets curve? New measures from 1987 to 2012 show declining pay inequality in China after 2008" UTIP Working Paper No. 67.
- “UTIP Global Inequality Data Sets 1963-2008:Updates, Revisions and Quality Checks” 2014. (Coauthored with James Galbraith, Beatrice Halbach, Aleksandra Malinowska and Amin Shams) UTIP Working Paper No. 68.
- “Economic Inequality and Political Regimes” and “Globalization and Inequality in China” (with James Galbraith and Sara Hsu) in James K. Galbraith’s Inequality and Instability: A Study of the World Economy Just Before the Great Crisis. New York: Oxford University Press (2012).
Work in progress:
- Manuscript in progress: China’s income distribution over time. Coauthored with Branko Milanovic.
- Manuscript in progress: The relationships between crime rate and inequality: Evidence from China. Coauthored with Sara Hsu.
Conference and workshop presentations
- Chair of the panel “World Inequality and Public Policy: What should be known and what should be concerned” at the 2nd International Conference on Public Policy (ICPP), Milan, Italy, 07/01-04/2015.
- “Has China crossed the Kuznet’s threshold: A snapshot of China’s pay inequality from 1987 to 2012” will present at the 2014 Fall research conference, Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM), Albuquerque , New Mexico, 11/06-08/2014.
- “Income Inequality and its Impacts on Middle Class: Evidence from China” presented at the 2014 International conference, Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM), Segovia, Spain, 09/28-30/2014.
- “UTIP Global Inequality Data Sets 1963-2008: Updates, Revisions and Quality Checks”, coauthored with James Galbraith, Beatrice Halbach, Aleksandra Malinowska and Amin Shams, presented at the United Nations University-Wider Conference, Helsinki, Finland, 09/04-06/2014. Coauthor presented.
- “Why and how have the Chinese Communist Party succeed and endured so far?” will present at the 23rd World Congress of Political Science, International Political Science Association (IPSA), Montreal, Canada, 07/19-24/2014.
- “UTIP Global Inequality Data Sets 1963-2008: Updates, Revisions and Quality Checks”, coauthored with James Galbraith, Beatrice Halbach, Aleksandra Malinowska and Amin Shams, presented at the IEA/World Bank Roundtable on Inequalities, IEA 17th World Congress, 6-10 June 2014, Dead Sea, Jordan. Coauthor presented.
- “Created Unequal: An Analysis of China's Income Inequality in Metropolitan Development”, present at 2014 AAG Annual Meeting, Tampa, Florida, 04/08-12/2014.
- “From growth-based to service-oriented -- How Chinese policymakers have transformed government functions to combat wage inequality during the reform era”, present at the 1st International Conference on Public Policy (IPCC), Grenoble, France, 06/26-28/2013.
- “Government Policy and Inequality in China: Are the New Policies Having an Effect?” presented at the annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association (APSA), Boston, Massachusetts, 08/29-31/2008.
- “China’s economic inequality and its relations with China’s internal migration.” Advanced Graduate Workshop on Poverty, Development, and Globalization led by Nobel laureate Joseph Stiglitz, Columbia University’s Initiative for Policy Dialogue and the Brooks World Poverty Institute, University of Manchester, England, June 15th –July 3rd, 2008.
- “The Beijing Bubble: Inequality, Trade and Capital Inflow into China” presented at the fourth formal meeting of the Initiative for Policy Dialogue Task Force on China, Manchester, UK, 06/25 – 06/26, 2008. Coauthor presented.
- Participated in the fourth formal meeting of the Initiative for Policy Dialogue Task Force on China as an observer, Beijing, China, Oct. 29th – Oct. 30th, 2009. This meeting was jointly organized by IPD Program, Columbia University and School of Economics, Peking University.
- Participated in US Foreign Policy Colloquium organized by National Committee on United States – China Relations and University of George Washington, Washington DC, June 1-4, 2005.
Datasets (For the data, please go to UTIP website)
- China’s pay inequality database covering 15,314 province-sector observations from 1987 to 2012, which is the most recent year for which inequality estimates based upon the Theil index are available.
- A regional pay inequality database of 21 European countries from 2000 to 2010 based using between-group component of Theil’s T-statistics measured across provinces and sectors.
- The major contributor of two global data sets, Estimated Household Income Inequality Data Set (EHII) and UTIP-UNIDO Data Set, covering 167 countries from 1963 to 2008.
- An innovative political regime data set for 210 countries from 1946-2006 (Coatuhored with Sara Hsu).
Website Design by: Wenjie Zhang