Book on Focus
Inequality and Instability: A Study of the World Economy Just Before the Crisis,
New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
Awards/Book Reviews/Media Reports on Inequality and Instability:
- On October 17, 2013, James Galbraith won the Runner up Prize Winner for his book Inequality and Instability at the 17th Annual University Co-op Robert W. Hamilton Book Awards.
- In Leeds on June 25, 2013, James Galbraith gave an FT Masterclass lecture entitled, "Inequality, Instability and the End of Normal." The introduction by Giuseppe Fontana is here. The lecture is here.
- On October 28, 2012, James Galbraith spoke at the Texas Book Festival, on Inequality and Instability. Listen here.
- On October 20, 2012, James Galbraith spoke to the Salone dell'Editoria in Rome, on Inequality and Instability. Listen here.
- On June 18, 2012, Foreign Affairs posted Gillian Tett's review of Inequality and Instability, at here. Much of it is behind a paywall but here is a snip: "Galbraith's timely and provocative book adds some economic and statistical ballast to the vague rhetorical slogans of the Occupy protesters. Drawing on meticulous academic research, it argues that the main source of the growing inequality across the world in recent years has been not industrial change, educational reform, or geopolitical shift but the financialization of the modern world."
- On June 14, 2012, James Galbraith gave a talk on Inequality and Instability to the Kreisky Forum in Vienna. This one is quite long but is possibly the fullest exposition of the book on this site. Listen here.
- On June 3, 2012, Media Matters host Bob McChesney interviewed James Galbraith on Inequality and Instability.
- On May 31, 2012, James Galbraith was on "Sound off with Sasha," talking about Inequality and Instability.
- On May 9, 2012, James Galbraith gave a talk at the Harvard Book Store; listen here.
- C-Span Book TV taped James Galbraith's speech on inequality at MIT on May 7, 2012. Watch here.
- The Real News Network ran a five-part interview on Inequality and Instability on April 20, 2012. The first three parts are now on-line at here.
- On April 20, 2012, Merrill Goozner had an interview on Inequality and Instability in The Fiscal Times. Read here.
- On April 20, 2012, Gillian Tett had a column on Inequality and Instability in the Financial Times. Read here.
- On April 16, 2012, James Galbraith gave a lecture on Inequality and Instability at the International Labor Organization. Listen here. Q&A is here. PPT can be read here. (Note: The PPT can be read in OpenOffice.)
- On April 14, 2012, James Galbraith spoke on "Inequality and Macrodynamics at the 3d INET conference in Berlin. Listen here. Watch here. PPT is here. (Note: The PPT can be read in OpenOffice.)
- On April 7, 2012, FireDogLake ran a two-hour Book Salon on Inequality and Instability. Read here.
- Inequality and Instability was published on March 30, 2012, by Oxford University Press. First reviews are as below.
- Inequality and Instability has been selected by Publishers Weekly as one of the top ten business books for Spring, 2012. Read here.